Waiver of CME requirement due to retirement

  • If you are retired from medicine and do not practice medicine in any form, including the prescribing of any drugs, legend or controlled, you may request an exemption from the CME requirement.

  • If you choose to renew your license but wish to request the retirement exemption, you should print and fill out the Request for Retirement Waiver and return it by mail to the Board.

  • Your license status will change from "Active" to "Active with Restriction Due to Retirement." This is not a disciplinary action and is not reportable to the National Practitioner Data Bank, nor is it published in the Board's Newsletter.

  • If at a later date you wish to re-enter the practice of medicine, you should request removal of the waiver status and submit proof of having met the continuing medical education requirement for the preceding 12 months.

Copyright 2018 The Alabama Board of Medical Examiners
All rights reserved