To request a licensure application package, please send the following by mail to
PO Box 946
Montgomery AL 36101-0946
- $20.00 check or money order payable to Alabama Board of Medical Examiners
- your FULL name
- your mailing address
- name and date of your original licensure exam (i.e., NBME, FLEX, USMLE, NBOME, LMCC)
- date of (re)certification by ABMS/AOA specialty board if applicable
Your packet will be mailed out 3-5 business days after receipt of your request and check.
Requirements for a medical license in Alabama, including medical school, postgraduate training and examination requirements, can be found in Board Rules, Chapter 540-X-3.
All information concerning requirements, fees, etc.,
is subject to change
without notice. You should not rely wholly upon the information available
at this site -- the information sent with the application packet will be current
and is the information upon which you should rely.
The average time for obtaining a license is six to eight weeks, depending upon various factors such as how quickly medical schools/postgraduate training programs provide primary source verification, how quickly the criminal background check results are returned, etc.
Board of Medical Examiners' Administrative Rules 540-X-3-.14 through .16 establish qualifications and procedures for limited licensure in Alabama for:
- Individuals in approved residency training programs (license numbers L.####R [resident], L.####F [fellowship])
- Visiting professors, distinguished professors and specialty professors at medical colleges (license numbers L.###SP [specialty professor], L.####DP [distinguished professor], L.####VP [visiting professor])
- Individuals employed by state mental and penal institutions (license number L.####SI [state institution])
There are specific requirements that must be met prior to the issuance of a limited license. Limited licenses are issued for one year only. Physicians must apply to the Board to renew their limited certificates of qualification by January 1 of each year.
Section 34-24-75.1 of the Code of Alabama authorizes the Board to issue certificates of qualification to physicians meeting the requirement
for participation in the Retired Senior Volunteer Program (Volunteer Medical Professional Act (Ala. Code §6-5-660,
et. seq. - scroll down to §6-5-660), without cost to the applicant.
The applicant is required to perform at least 100 hours of voluntary service annually and limit his or her practice to the confines of an established free medical clinic or other nonprofit organization or facilities in Alabama.
Administrative Rule 540-X-3-.23 provides the mechanism for application and issuance of the RSVP license. An application form and the form for the certification of the free medical clinic are available below.
Please note that physicians issued a license under the RSVP program remain subject to continuing medical education requirements.
Board Rules, Chapter 540-X-16, special purpose license for the practice of medicine or osteopathy across state lines (telemedicine):
- establishes requirements and procedures for applying
- defines the practice of medicine or osteopathy across state lines
- lists the qualifications for a special purpose license
- lists procedures for issuing a special purpose license
To obtain an application for a special purpose license, please contact
- All licenses are issued for one calendar year and expire on December 31
- License renewal reminder postcards are sent to address of record beginning in October
- Online renewals are available and encouraged
- Be sure the information provided is accurate
- If you do not wish to renew, request "Active-Non Renewal by Request" status
- to reinstate an inactive license, you may download a reinstatement application or fill out the reinstatement application request and an application will be mailed to you
- the cost to reinstate is up to $850, depending on when you were last active
- 25 Category 1 or equivalent CME credits in the 12 months preceding the application are required
- to reinstate an inactive (Q)ACSC, and your license is active, you should submit an (Q)ACSC reinstatement application request
- the cost to reinstate is the current annual fee for an (Q)ACSC
- Collaborative practices
- Dispensing physician
- Office based surgery
- Use of lasers and other modalities affecting human tissue
- Pain management services
Please see our web page concerning the Interstate Medical Licensure Compact
Official web page for Interstate Meidcal Licensure Compact
All rights reserved